Dear VA-AAP Pediatrician:
The KidsMD Political Action Committee (KidsMD PAC), established by action of the Board of Directors of the Virginia Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics, enables the Chapter to make contributions to key state legislators and attend events that provide opportunities for pediatricians and our lobbyists to have face to face conversations with legislators and their staff. Our political activity to date has allowed us to build strong relationships in the legislature and our new KidsMD PAC will further increase our access to legislators and allow us to broaden our reach to more legislators across the Commonwealth.
But we cannot do this without your help! We need your financial support so we can continue the strong advocacy for pediatricians and our patients that is our number one priority. For the first time, we are asking individual pediatricians and practice groups to contribute to our PAC- your annual giving is critical to our success!
After historically passing Medicaid expansion this year, we know the healthcare debate is far from over, and we need the resources to ensure that when major decisions regarding the future of healthcare are made, pediatricians are at the table. This will be exceedingly critical moving forward with implementation of Medicaid expansion and ensuring access to physicians for the newly covered lives.
We have a strong record of success in the Virginia General Assembly…
- Advocating for Medicaid expansion for our patients and their parents;
- Virginia has the toughest educational requirements for NPs in independent private practice in the United States;
- Fighting against scope of practice expansion by naturopaths and a new “doctorate of medical science”;
- Mandating child safety caps on liquid nicotine that is used in e-cigarettes;
- Prohibiting smoking in cars with children aged eight and younger;
- Requiring neonatal abstinence syndrome to be added to the list of reportable diseases;
- Continuing to defeat bills that would make the sale of raw milk;
- Worked to protect physicians who write standing orders for epi pens in schools
… and those are just a sample of our successful advocacy in the last three years!
Please discuss a group contribution with your practice members, either individually or at your next practice meeting. Contributing as a group is a relatively painless way to support the PAC and sets an excellent example for others to follow. Please consider a practice-wide contribution of $500, $250 or even just $100 per member of your group to support the PAC as we strive to support your interests before the General Assembly.
Contributions may be made by online or by check and mailed to KidsMD PAC, 118 N. 8th Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219.
Help make our organization one that defends and protects children and promotes the practice of pediatrics in Virginia!
If you have questions, feel free to contact me via email at email@example.com.
Thank you for your consideration.
William “Biff” Rees, MD
KidsMD PAC Chairman